I’m not a baller, so there’s going to be a bit of “who does this guy think he is?” and I acknowledge that. Nevertheless I’ve always been pretty good at presentations and have a view on how Panos Panay, chief of Surface for Microsoft, could have done better in his Surface Pro 3 unveiling. So I’m going to share that view.
If you look at people’s comments on tech websites and forums, quite a few thought Panos did a great job. And he did do a good job. He did a lot of things right, chiefly:
- Positioning the Surface as a tablet that can replace the laptop — there’s finally a sentence people can point to and say, that’s what the Surface is
- Identifying the MacBook Air as the most direct competition
- Comparing the Surface size and screen ratio to a legal notepad
- Demoing with the new Photoshop, crossword puzzle and movie scripting
- Emphasizing pride and passion in the work they’ve done
But he could have done a lot better. 2000 words’ worth of suggestions better.